Eye-masks are ideal whether you work nightshift and need to sleep during the day, are travelling on a long journey or just fancy forty winks. They keep out unwanted light to help you get to sleep, and with the variety of fabrics available they can be made to suit everyone, male and female, young and old alike. They also make great gifts too.
**TOP TIP - Don't use fabrics that are rough, irritate the skin or have loose fibres. Using a dark coloured fabric for the back will help keep out the light. - TOP TIP**
1. Print template and cut out.
2. Using the template (pin in place, draw around the template and cut out) cut out one each of the front fabric, backing fabric and wadding.
3. Knot the end of the elastic and hold it at your left temple. Stretch it around the back of your head to the right temple (do not pull it too tight). Cut the elastic a little longer than this (for the knot) and knot the end.
4. Place the wadding/felt on the work surface.
5. Place the fabric chosen for the front of your mask right side up on top of the wadding and pin together. Using the template as a guide pin the elastic to the fabric making sure the knotted ends are just over the edge, hold the elastic in place with pins in the middle of the mask (so it doesn't get caught up when sewing).
6. Place the backing fabric on top with right sides facing and pin all three layers together.
7. Using a ¼ inch seam allowance sew the three layers & elastic together (sew back & forth over the elastic a couple of times to secure it in place), leaving a gap for turning (taking out the pins as you go). Remember to double stitch at the beginning and end & when trimming the threads leave one long strand to sew the gap closed with.
8. Reach inside and take out the pin holding the elastic, turn the mask the right way out (poking out the curves with your finger).
9. Pin the gap and sew closed with slip stitch.
10. Gently press (iron) both sides of the mask.
11. Using your presser foot as a guide sew around the mask to help keep all the layers close together.
12. Enjoy a well deserved bit of shut eye.