Gift boxes come in all shapes and sizes, this one was designed with giving a gift at Chinese New Year in mind or it would also be a great gift box for someone who's favourite food is a Chinese take-away.
1. Print and carefully cut out the paper template.
2. Optional - To make a stronger template (ideal if you plan to make more than one box or to add to your box templates collection for future boxes). Place the template onto some plain card and accurately draw around it.
3. Carefully cut out the stronger template. Using a craft knife or a pair of small sharp scissors cut out the 'tuck in' slot.
4. Referring to the paper template printout, mark and label all the fold and cut lines.
5. Place the card template on the back of some patterned card and carefully draw around it, remembering to mark the 'tuck-in slot'. Accurately cut out the box and slot. Gently erase any pencil lines.
6. Using the template as reference score and press the 'fold' lines using the crochet hook and ruler.
7. Spread some glue on the front of the 'glue flaps' on one side (or use double-sided sticky tape), lift up the adjoining sides and press the glued flaps to the inside edges, holding until stuck. Repeat for the remaining opposite side.
8. Leave to dry.
9. Place your gift inside.
10. Fold in the two plain flaps.
11. Close the lid by gently tucking the shaped end through the inside of the cut out slot.